Every autumn in Paris, timed to coincide with Fashion Week, the major international gathering of the optics and eyewear industry brings together close on 75,000 professionals (visitors and exhibitors) in a 77,000 m² exhibition area, hosting 950 businesses — 130 of these exhibiting for the very first time! — and 1,350 brands from all over the world.
"In an effort to continually improve our existing facilities and present the exhibition in a positive light despite a still uncertain economic climate, we are mindful of the need to be responsive to exhibitors and visitors and provide the best possible environment for doing business, is the view of Silmo's President Philippe Lafont. To demonstrate the exhibition's rich offering via the hundreds of exhibiting companies from across the entire world, we are committed to ensuring that every edition of Silmo fully showcases these businesses while at the same time providing maximum information to visitors. SILMO 2013 is increasing the number of activities on offer, most of them well-known and highly popular but with one or two totally original surprises. Our role is both to surprise and to be a catalyst... of major trends, talents, innovations unveiled at the exhibition, but also of new brands choosing this event to launch their products. SILMO is undoubtedly the ideal sounding board".
To check out during the exhibition:
An event within an event, the SILMO d’Or awards have become the international benchmark, shining the spotlight on innovation and talent; this year, the expert panel of judges will be headed by French designer Mathieu Lehanneur, who works across a broad range of fields, including design of individual objects, staging, art and conceptual research.
- Always appreciated for the diversity of viewpoints, exchanges and debates, the PLATEAU SILMO TV by Acuité will bring together large numbers of professionals to discuss topical issues and assess prospects aimed at "moving the profession forward".
- With a long-standing commitment to improve the daily lives of visually impaired people, Silmo 2013 is once again hosting the LOW VISION stand which will present "Visions d’un Monde"(Visions of a World), an installation designed by Pascal Parsat, on behalf of the Théâtre Handicap's Resource Centre *
- Now up to cruising speed, SILMO ACADEMY is attracting an ever increasing audience of people interested in the content of the lectures given by eminent speakers. This year it will take place over three days rather than two, from 26 to 28 September.
Enhanced by technical and practical workshops reserved for groups of 20 to 50 people, this year's scientific symposium will address the following themes:
"Œil et Lumière" (Eye and Light), Thursday 26 September 2013 3pm to 5.30pm;
"Vision périphérique" (Peripheral vision), Friday 27 September 2013 10am to 12.30pm;
"Vision et performance sportive" (Vision and sports performance), Friday 27 September 2013 3pm to 6pm;
"Les opticiens invitent les Ophtalmologistes" (Opticians welcome the Ophthalmologists), Saturday 28 September 2013 10.30am to 1pm.
Intended to help opticians optimise their point of sale displays, Silmo offers its MERCHANDISING WORKSHOP with a series of lectures on the theme "Keys to success at your point of sale: the customer pathway".
Accompanied as always by individual coaching sessions: 20 minutes of bespoke one-to-one coaching with a professional, in order to gain an in-depth understanding of merchandising and identify tailor-made solutions to display problems at your point of sale.
Finally, two new complementary exhibition areas featuring information on trends, products and markets, with the main focus on the exhibitors' offering.
- FASHION STYLE outlines all the fashion trends expressed and exhibited at Silmo involving around a hundred French and international labels from the ready-to-wear, luxury, casual and contemporary segments. An original forum with three associated features:
- Catwalk, a spectacular fashion parade of eyewear brands;
- Showroom where those brands that wish to can showcase their style universe;
- Style on View, an audio-visual presentation playing on a loop throughout the exhibition, giving an overview of the latest styles and trends in a fusion of fashion and frames.
- In a contemporary setting reminiscent of a loft-style studio, LA MANUFACTURE, places the focus on the expertise and innovations of the companies exhibiting at the fair as they unveil the season's principal new materials, colours and forms.
Preparations for SILMO 2013 are underway. All we need now is you …
* Another exhibition to explore: "La Terre en héritage" (The Earth as inheritance) by Jean-Pierre Guéno, with visual interpretation by Jérôme Pecnard and with the support of the Antoine de Saint-Exupéry Youth Fondation, the Musée des Lettres & Manuscrits, and the kind permission of the Saint-Exupéry estate, photographer Yann Arthus-Bertrand, publishing company Editions Gallimard and Jacob Duvernet.
The exhibition is sponsored by Mrs Claudie Haigneré, scientifist, astronaut, president of Universcience in Paris and of RECA, (Gathering of cultural establishments for greater accessibility).